The Indian educational system is something of its own. It has developed its own standard and grading mechanism. We need to have a clear understanding and comprehension of the Levels or Stages of Education in India today
What is the system that is generally followed?
It follows a very unique structure of education. It is known as a 10+2 system because one of the single structure till 10th grade and then you have two more years. It is implemented in all of the Union Territories as well as states of the country. However, not all of them follow a distinct pattern that follows the Central system and some have their own State syllabus boards. But, the Levels or Stages of Education in India today remain somewhat the same.
How have the levels been divided?
The educational stages can be divided into stages and feature several distinct extra educational options. So, the Levels or Stages of Education in India today can be understood as the following:
- Pre-Primary Stage – This is the first stage of education. It is for children between the ages of three to six years old. This stage comprises of the distinct level of classes and includes Pre-school, Nursery, Kindergarten – which includes Lower Kindergarten LKG and Upper Kindergarten UKG. This is usually provided by both the government and private schools.
- Primary Stage – The next stage after Pre-Primary school is that of the Primary Stage. This is for students between the age of five to twelve and consists of the first to fifth grade. The duration of the same is four to five years. They are usually a set of general subjects such as English, Mathematics, Environmental Sciences, and a second language. Under the Constitution of our country, elementary school and these five years have been made necessary and compulsory.
- Middle Stage – The next stages of education include around three to four years of further studying. This is the 5th to 7th grade or the 6th to 8th grade, so the students are almost fourteen years old when they are done with this stage. This Is different across states and is usually the part between elementary and high school.
- Secondary Stage – This is the stage between senior secondary school and middle school and consists of two to three academic years of studying. The students are around sixteen years old when they are done with it. In certain States, it is the 8th to 10th grade and for some, it is the 9th to 10th grade.
- Senior Secondary – The next stage of education is the final two years of schooling. It is the same across the country and forms the 11th and 12th grade. The pattern of 10+2 is followed and students have the will and freedom to choose their preferred subjects in light of the careers they wish to pursue. They can choose from Sciences, Commerce, Art and Humanities. They also have the option of choosing one elective such as Legal Studies, Entrepreneurship, Economics, Painting, Fashion Studies and many more.
- Undergraduate Study – This is where the students enter the world of university and college and they are done with school. Students that enter this stage at the age of eighteen and depending upon their chosen course it can take anywhere between three to five years. There are several degrees that students can choose from such as Medicine, Architecture, Law, Business, Economics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Engineering and Technology. You can choose from a series of private and government colleges.
- Postgraduate Stage – This is the stage that students may choose to enter or not, and usually between 1-3 years where students can get their Masters degrees. Several colleges are known to provide PG education and you can specialize in a field or subject of your choice.
Besides the structure mentioned above, you can even find adult education plants, Distance education options which given to those who do not have access or are unable to join schools or colleges in the regular way. There are also home-schooling options which are an alternative to the regular school structure and students can choose from the streams they want. Visit our Home Page to Know more about Best School in India